Thursday, May 6, 2010

Leftovers and the Same Old Same Old

I am stuck in a rut. Been a stay at mom now for over 19 years, wow! Don't get me wrong, I love being a stay at home mom. It's the dinners that are in a rut. I try to be creative, make a variety each week, but now that it's been over 19 years of doing this, it is getting really hard. I know what my family likes and dislikes. They each have their favorites, they like the same old same old. But for me, I like variety and love trying new things. So do I go crazy and really go for the gusto and start trying new recipes?

I guess making the same old same old is also because of my kids' schedules. I know how to make the dishes, my family loves them, so it doesn't take me long to make them. Three kids and their activities, especially during dinner time takes it's toll. Guess I really got in a rut of fast food and take out, but secretly, I love that! It's my family, they love when I cook! I guess I should take that as a compliment. But like I said, 19 years of it, *heavy sigh*...

I need meals that don't take forever to make, that is key for me. I guess it's time for me to make a menu for the week again? I used to do that when we were living pay check to pay check and would be very frugal at the grocery store. But even when I have a plan in my head of meals, schedules change and there goes my idea out the door.

I am also very aware of the quantity of food I make because I do not eat leftovers. It's very rare if I do. And of course, my family has followed in my footsteps. But now my son has been growing, even moreso, and the portions I was used to making isn't enough. And now my daughter is home from college and we are back to a family of five.

I have even tried hiring specialty chefs that come into your home and cook a week's worth of food and freeze it for you. The guilt got to me and that only lasted about two weeks. That was a wasteful way of trying to be creative.

How many more years of home cooking do I have left? Yep, a lot, my youngest is only 11 years old. I have no clue what to make for dinner tonight...

1 comment:

asian~treasures said...

I suppose your kids are too big to be thrilled when you don't know what to make for supper & you pull out a box of macaroni & cheese, huh? : )

That's what is for supper tonight.