Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My Get Up and Go...

Has gone up and went. I am talking about exercising. I've talked about this before and how I am not in the mood to exercise. I've tried, really I have, but my enthusiasm only lasts at the most, two days in a row. I have exercise equipment available to me in an actual exercise room with a great view too. I can also watch tv while I exercise. My other option is to walk outside and enjoy the beautiful scenery, but even that isn't working for me.

Back in 1993, I started working out at a health club and I got hooked. I would work out three hours a day, five days a week, even if I felt sick I would work out. The club had excellent child care so that really helped me stay focused. Every month, I would get my body fat tested, yeah I was that hard core. The lowest I got to was 16% body fat. I could have gotten lower, but I was eating like a horse and did not cut out any foods(I'm still that way today, I love food). I did this routine for 4 1/2 years, even while I was pregnant with my son. Don't worry, i was careful not to over do it. No wonder the delivery went so quickly.

When we moved back to Omaha in 1996, my enthusiasm began to lessen. I think it was partly due to a change in clubs, you know how you get comfortable in a certain setting. Plus the search for a new club was disappointing and kind of discouraging. I finally found a club I liked. I worked out five days a week, but not as hard core as in previous years. Having three kids also changed the dynamics. I guess I burned out tho from being so hard core. I lasted at the club til around 2001, then I stopped going daily and cut down to three days a week, then eventually, I stopped altogether.

I figured I could exercise in the spring and summer in the pool. Well, that didn't happen either. So I continued on without exercising, but I think the key to my success was not beating myself up for not exercising. I really did change the way I was thinking about myself and that really made a difference.

Now it is time to get back on the wagon. I do have about ten pounds to lose. Last summer was a whirlwind of events with selling our old house, buying a new house, and traveling to Korea all within two months, then moving two months later. I have to get into a routine in order to function well so now that my kids are almost done with school, I am hoping I can get into the swing of things. I will keep everyone posted, exciting huh.

No comments: