Monday, December 13, 2010

Dear Santa...

I remember writing letters like this when I was little. I was amazed at how I would get the gifts I asked for. Then my own kids wrote letters to Santa. It was fun to see what they would ask for and then see their faces when their wishes came true.

Then I heard of another parent and their way of giving presents from Santa. Their kids would only receive three gifts from Santa, because Jesus received three gifts at his birth from the Three Wise Men. I thought this was a great idea and I began doing this for my own kids.

In later years, I began thinking even more on these three gifts and this person we all called Santa. It occurred to me that my kids shouldn't think this mystical person is better than their own parents because he gave the best gifts. I know, I know, kids grow up and eventually find out that we are Santa, but when they were kids and still believing, I wanted them to know that their parents were the ones that made their wishes come true. Not someone that they saw at a mall.

Don't get me wrong, I love Santa, who doesn't? In fact, I love playing Santa and year round if I can. I love to make someone's wish come true, something that they never thought in their whole lives would happen to them, big or small. This is the season of giving, but I like to try and give all the time. How fun it is to make an ordinary day an extraordinary day.

No comments: