Thursday, December 9, 2010

Full Time Job

Which is really a part time job, but really it isn't a job, it's all volunteering. I love volunteering for Holt International, there are so many different events that happen across the country from big to small. But the full time job, which is part time, which is volunteering, is the honor of serving on the Board of Directors. There was so much to learn when I first joined the board, so much so, I questioned whether or not I was even qualified for the position. Honestly, it took me a good three years to feel comfortable serving.

So now I'm working on committee things to get on top of all that we have to do. I have three new members that were placed on my committee, so I have been busy compiling all the information there is to know about our committee and what our responsibilities are. I am one to read directions on everything, so I re-read our policy book and picked out everything that was pertinent to my committee. That took me all day yesterday and partially into the early evening. I'm just glad my Wednesdays are the days I don't have to go anywhere unless I make plans.

Don't get me wrong, I am still not comfortable with every aspect of the ins and outs, there are just some things better left to others that know the areas in which I feel go completely over my head. It's a good thing we are all made so differently so we can all contribute in our special ways.

I read directions, I have a schedule, I have charts, I have timelines, I feel I am very organized. But when it comes to waiting on other people to get back to me so I can move forward, ugh, I have to have more patience, but really, shouldn't they get back to me asap? With technology nowadays, it's that simple and only takes about five minutes at the most, right?

So now I wait, my emails are in draft form, my timelines are on hold, my schedule is in pause mode, my charts are almost complete. I was hoping I'd be able to finish up today, but at this rate, doesn't look like I will. I like to get all of my things done before my kids get home, then I try not to do any emails or work unless it's something important. Well, at least I got in a break to write on my blog and now I am going to write thank you notes, the old fashioned way, by hand!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh that is one of my least favorite parts of working - waiting on other people!!!