Thursday, December 23, 2010

Merry Christmas Adam

A lot of people don't get my sense of humor, but my hubby does. That's why we have lasted this long. When we moved to San Antonio in 1992, we left all that we knew and were comfortable with in Omaha. No friends, no relatives, no clue what to expect in San Antonio. We just up and moved our little family because of the job opportunity for hubby.

This was going to be a two year deal. It turned into a 4 1/2 year deal, but it was a good move for us. We got to focus on our little family, on one another. But to be honest, it was a little lonely so we both had to break out of our shells, especially me. I have been a stay at home mom ever since the birth of our daughter in 1991 so breaking out of my shell was something I really had to work on.

I started a mom's group in my neighborhood, I began working out daily at the health club, we began hosting parties at our house. Thus, the birth of Christmas Adam parties. We did this because we were still 'poor', not making a whole lot of money so we couldn't afford to travel to family for every Holiday. We spent a few Christmases by ourselves so tried to make the best of it by hosting the Christmas Adam parties at our house. For those that were still in San Antonio for Christmas and had the day before Christmas Eve open, this worked out great.

The theme of the party was also to bring your favorite appetizer, 'These are a Few of My Favorite Things', still staying with the Christmas theme. I think this was the beginning of my hosting duties and the reason why I feel comfortable hosting anything at my house. I don't stress out about hosting parties, or at least I tell myself that. I love hosting actually. I like to make the gatherings very casual though and throw in some fun if I can. My advice to others that stress out about hosting, ask others to bring something so you don't have to make or provide everything. It really helps. You provide the majority, but if others bring one dish, it really helps.

Since moving back to Omaha in 1996, I have not had any Christmas Adam parties. I miss them. Maybe I should start them up again...next year anyway, since we are celebrating with my hubby's side of the family tonight. Until then, Merry Christmas Adam everyone!

No comments: