Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Mad Dash Begins

Because Christmas is THIS Saturday! Wow! Why am I so shocked? We have this cute little countdown to Christmas snowman and I see it daily, so why am I so surprised that Christmas is four days away? Because seriously, we all know that we have to be ready before Christmas Eve so that really means I should be ready by tomorrow. What? Tomorrow? Why not Thursday? Because it's a rule that I made up in my own mind.

Christmas Eve's past, my hubby and I would spend wrapping presents till our fingers bled from paper cuts and our heads hurt from making sure every kid had the same amount of gifts to open. Then trying to write 'From Santa' with my left hand so the kids wouldn't recognize my hand writing. Looked more like a drunken elf wrote it. What we don't do for our kids!

Those days are long gone of Santa presents since our youngest is 12 years old. I'm not too sentimental about things in life so I won't miss having to do the mad dash of wrapping presents. With my kids being almost 20, almost 17, and 12, the things on their Christmas lists tend to me more expensive, which means less gifts to wrap. This year, the lists were very short so talk about a nice break from wrapping, but yet, I haven't even wrapped one gift as of today.

We celebrated Christmas with my side of the family. It was very nice and relaxing. We didn't overeat, my plan with not serving any appetizers, something we are not used to as my kids asked where the appetizers were. We are very relaxed and not traditional or formal when it comes to the meal, we had a vegetable lasagna with salad and a chicken dish. Then had chocolate fondue with fruit and berry pie with homemade ice cream, thanks to my sister. It was all very yummy.

Thursday night will be Christmas with hubby's side of the family. That is a little more of a production. Especially in the planning of getting EVERY family member at once on the same date available. You know, sometimes that just can't happen, but we found a date that worked for everyone. I'm a little more laid back about it and if it means we spend Christmas with only one family at a time, then that's just the way it is. I try not stress about it, but sometimes the stress of others creeps onto me.

We don't exchange gifts among any of the adults in both families. We all have way too much already. The grandparents give gifts to the grandkids, but that's what Christmas is about, seeing the excitement on the faces of kids.

So that leaves Christmas day with my own family. I love having it with just my family. No need to shower or even get out of our jammies if we don't feel like it. No huge meal to plan. Thinking we will have BLT's for dinner, for real! Movies all day long. We really are just casual and laid back and don't want to stress out, there's no room for fun if one is stressed out. A lazy, stress-free Christmas day, that is on the top of my list to Santa.

So what about wrapping those presents now? Nah, I think I will leave that for the mad dash Christmas Eve.

No comments: